Given the opportunity to make a fully informed choice, our experience is that the vast majority of today’s dental patients will choose white fillings.
There are several reasons for this:
- Since they bond to the tooth, white composite fillings restore most of the original strength of the tooth. Silver can weaken the teeth, making them more susceptible to breakage.
- Since broken teeth are very expensive to restore, composites can save a lot of expense over the long run.
- Composite fillings restore the natural appearance of the tooth.
- Teeth restored with white fillings are less sensitive to hot and cold than teeth restored with amalgam, if correct techniques are used.
- Composites are mercury-free.
- Composites require less removal of tooth structure. Especially with new cavities, the size of the hole made for the filling can be dramatically smaller with composites.